SELDOM-ASKED QUESTIONS ...and their answers
01. WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SITE?
The concept and administration of beatlesaustralia.com is down to one, Drummond Grieve of Perth, Western Australia.

02. WHO PROVIDES THE FACTUAL DATA FEATURED ON THE SITE?
Facts and figures published on this site are compiled and updated by respected Beatles researcher and audiophile, Jaesen Jones.

03. IS THIS SITE THE DEFINITIVE RESOURCE FOR AUSTRALIA BEATLES VINYL?
While the historical data and technical information published on this site is accurate insofar as existing verifiable documentation allows, it needs be underlined, italicised and emboldened that there is a trove of data which currently resides exclusively in the hands of one or more Australian collectors which could easily debunk some, much, or even all of what is currently understood or 'known' about the manufacture and distribution of Beatles records in Australia. Whether that El Dorado of hitherto unpublished data ever sees this side of the filing cabinet is anybody's guess - but hope springs eternal.

04. WHERE DO ALL THE LABEL (AND OTHER) IMAGES COME FROM?
99% of label images are scans of labels from the private collections of Richard Green, Gary O'Donnell and Drummond Grieve, with occasional submissions by Jaesen Jones; and even more-occasional contributions from a few site-visitors. The other 1% of labels are sourced from listings of auctions in which I was not the successful bidder.

05. WHY ARE ALL THE LABEL IMAGES ON THE SITE 'WATERMARKED'?
Preparing images for publication is a time-consuming, multi-stage process. Given the effort put in by all contributors, it would be unfair if images were nabbed from this site and published elsewhere without appropriate credit accorded the source. Watermark's provide a permanent acknowledgement of individual effort and/or contribution.

06. WHY DO SOME LABELS HAVE WRITING ON THEM, ARE TORN OR HAVE OTHER FORMS OF 'DAMAGE'?
While it would be terrific to display pristine examples of every label variation, the reality is that this particular beggar can't be a chooser and so any example of a unique variation is better than none at all. That said, I'm always looking for upgrades for the more feral labels currently in the archive.

07. YOU STATE 'RELEASE DATES' FOR TITLES BUT NOT FOR LABEL VARIATIONS, WHY ARE LABELS NOT 'DATED'?
Unlike U.K. Beatles releases, in which both 'mother' and 'stamper' codes are accommodated within the runout-matrix information, the bulk of Australia vinyl only has a 'mother' code - a lacking which characterises the bulk of Australia pressings, over a twenty-year period, of a given title. The lack of stamper codes, or other vinyl-dating information, makes it impossible to date pressings/labels beyond the approximate date of a label-style transition. Compounding the problem is the habit of label typesetters of informally altering font-size, font-style, leading and kerning of one or all of the non-permanent text blocks; meaning that a title label with an italicised-tracklist text has nothing at all in common, date-wise, with an italicised-tracklist label of any other title.

08. I'VE FOUND A LABEL NOT PUBLISHED IN THE ARCHIVE; CAN I SUBMIT IT FOR PUBLICATION?
Certainly. But for technical reasons, submitted labels should be scans (not photographs) of minimum 300dpi resolution, and the same physical dimension as originally scanned.

09. HOW MUCH IS MY AUSTRALIA BEATLES LP, EP OR 45 WORTH?
I have absolutely no idea! Unlike the UK and US Beatles vinyl catalogues, the Australia experience is not anywhere near as well-documented. The best that can be managed at the time of writing is a guide to the scarcity of particular records - which is difficult to quantify given the lack of reliable available information regarding production numbers. The best rule of thumb is the better the condition, the more valuable the record; but of course there will always be exceptions.